Categorized | Features

Remembering 9/11

IMG_4017
At 8:46 am on September 11th, 2001, the way Americans went about their lives and the way they thought about their security would change forever. Thirteen years ago today, 2,977 people lost their lives in New York City, Washington D.C., and Shanksville, Pennsylvania. Hundreds of rescue workers and innocent bystanders were drastically affected by the terrorist attack. Many families were left broken as children became parentless and Americans were left feeling vulnerable about  their safety. Going into work that day, nobody expected that this would be the last time they would say  goodbye to their loved ones. This event will be remembered throughout history; we will always hold those who lost their lives close at heart.
What were you doing on 9/11/2001? How were your family, friends, and loved ones affected by this tragic event? Please post your comments below.

9 Responses to “Remembering 9/11”

1. Mrs. Loyacano says:

I was a freshman in college on 9/11/01. I was one of the few people in my hall who had an early morning Tuesday class and mine was across campus. There was some mention of something that might end up being news worthy, but freshman are not normally in the habit of reading the news before 8am. When I got back to my dorm I checked online and started having a bit of a panic. I turned on the TV and woke up my friends on my hall.

I tried to call my parents because sometimes my dad worked downtown (I am from NoVa) and the lines were completely busy. The only person I could get a hold of was my grandmother. I ended up going to all of my classes that day and just watching the news in between. Many of my friends had parents who worked in, or around, the Pentagon and it took days for news to reach me that everyone was ok.

2. Ms. Valerio says:

It was my first semester of college at Wesley College in Delaware. I remember it just like it was yesterday. It was a Tuesday morning and I didn’t have class until 11:30 that day. I was up early doing work and had on ABC waiting for Live with Regis and Kelly at 9am…I think it was Good Morning America that was on and I remember them interrupting to report the first plane crash. At first I just thought “wow what a freak thing to happen with such a big plane..I wonder why it was flying so low” and I continued to do my work. Then while they were still reporting on the first plane crash we saw live the second plane hit. I couldn’t believe it! I did not have any family members that were over there but I had friends from high school that had gone to college in NYC and friend’s parents that worked over there as well. Even though I knew they weren’t over in NYC, I wanted to call my family back in NJ. It was impossible to get through. All lines were busy and it took hours before I could get a call into to my family. All classes at my college got cancelled for the day and I remember we held a candlelight prayer service to pray for those that had already lost their lives and those they were still searching for. Once I had finally talked to my family, my mom said that they could see the black smoke from our house in NJ about 30 minutes outside of the city, and my uncle who at the time worked on the waterfront in Bayonne unloading cars off ships said one of the planes flew low right over his head and he watched as it went towards the towers. As the days went on, I still couldn’t believe that something like this had happened. A couple weeks later when I was able to get home for a weekend, My family and I went to Hoboken, NJ to look across at the skyline and see the site where the twin towers once stood. I couldn’t believe that it was still smoking. From across the river, you could still see smoke rises from the ruins. It was heart wrenching!

On a positive note, in May 2013 my mom and I went over to NYC for the day and went to visit the recently opened 9/11 memorial. It was remarkable what they did with the site where the twin towers once stood. The original foundations are still there and water now flows through them and threw the opening in the middle. All of the names of those whose lost their lives on that day, are etched in metal that surrounds the foundations. Some of the original trees that were at the World Trade Center survived and are still standing in the memorial. It truly was a remarkable experience despite all of the tragedy that happened there on 9/11/01.

3. Laura Riggan says:

I took my 1st pd 9th grade history class to the library that Tuesday morning. The librarian rushed over to tell me her son had called her to say planes had crashed into the world trade center and the Pentagon. “We are under terrorist attack!” she told me. I thought she must not have her facts right, she must be overreacting. The next period, I was again in the library with my class. The assistant principal came in to tell me I needed to explain to my class what was happening. I had to tell him I didn’t know–he needed to tell me what was happening. I took my class back to the classroom and shared what little I could explain. Back in those days, we had TVs in our classrooms for “Channel 1” news–Mrs. Teeter and I sat in my room watching together through lunch. The weather was gorgeous that day–blue sky, not too hot. I remember how strange it was not to see any planes or jet trails in the sky for the next two days while all flights were canceled. For the next week or so, major events all over the country were canceled–NFL football, concerts, etc–anything where a large crowd might gather and provide a target for terrorists. It was a little scary to get back to normal–by avoiding those activities we were letting the terrorists win, people said–but to see a plane fly over a crowded area was suddenly frightening. One of the hardest parts was figuring out how much to tell my 5-year-old son, Will. I wanted to protect him from knowing about this, didn’t want the world to become a place for him where airplanes were associated with terrorists or terror.

4. Mrs. Werle says:

I remember a lot about 9-11. I was in 8th grade and remember being in tech class and my teacher saying “A plane hit the world trade centers?!” That was right when the bell rang to go to the next class. I remember thinking nothing of terrorism but thinking it must be some freak accident. Then in my next class, science, I remember the teacher explaining it to us because parents started calling the school and pulling out kids.
    This hit really close to home living outside of northern VA. My dad worked across the street from the pentagon and could see the smoke from his office, a friend who was a delivery truck driver saw the plane hit the pentagon and called the radio station and then called his wife and my mom.
    I remember many of my fellow students being terrified because their parents worked in the pentagon. I remember teachers trying to teach that day and not getting things done. I also remember going home and watching the news with my parents and trying to call my friends and family, but so many people were on the phone that often the phone lines were blocked.
    We didn’t have school the next day and my dad didn’t have work either. We also knew a lot of people who were supposed to be in that part of the pentagon that day, but didn’t go to work for one reason or another. And of course we knew people who had lost family and friends in the pentagon.

5. Ms. Widener says:

It was such a strange day for me. I was in school at Oklahoma State University. I had an early morning mineral lab and we had heard that a plane ran into a building in New York. We assumed that it was a small plane. 3 hours later, when lab ended (there were no data plans back then) and we found out what really happened it was such a shock. At work that afternoon, we just watched TV. No one came in or called it was just so strange.

6. Matt Bailey says:

9/11/01 happened when I was in high school. I remember sitting in geometry class and having someone come in to whisper to Coach Brooks about something that had just happened. Something big. This was pre-texting, facebook, and anything social media so the school was able to keep the news quiet until we moved to our next classes. The rest of the day was spent glued to the TV instead of doing our normal lessons in bio, yearbook, and history. Crazy scary times, especially for those with loved ones in DC and NYC.

7. Mrs Donnelly says:

WHS was being renovated, and my class was in a trailer that was out by the art rooms. Around 10 a.m. my class went into the main building to take a break. Ms Cynthia Moore was in the hallway saying the buildings had fallen. We had no idea what she was talking about. The rest of the day, most of the classes at WHS watched the developing story on TV. I remember thinking this would not change the world, but it did.

8. Mr. Richards says:

I vividly remember 9-11. I was a 5th grader who was among many other students who could tell that the day was not a normal day. Only a few students at my school knew about what had happened, and this was because their parents worked for the government. They were not allowed to tell other students what happened. I remember not knowing about it until I arrived home and watched the news with my parents. The news footage was scary and shocking. Today, I have seen many of my childhood friends enlist into the wars that resulted from the attacks and unfortunately the things that they have seen are unimaginable.

As a result of 9-11 and related events, Americans began to slow down and appreciate the sacrifices that rescue workers among other people make on a daily basis. In addition to patriotism and gratefulness, select Americans have displayed hatred towards minorities, specifically members of Middle Eastern communities and Muslims. It is important that we realize that these hateful acts were committed by a group of terrorists with an agenda and do not represent all people of their race, religion, or ethnicity.

I am thankful for the men and women who made incredible sacrifices to save others’ lives that day and hope for peace for the victims, their families and friends, and everyone affected by this tragedy.

9. E. Gross says:

A fellow teacher came and told our class to come next door and watch the news happening live via TV. None of us quite comprehended the degree of severity or magnitude of how it would effect our personal lives.
    The mother of my daughter’s best friend was returning by plane from Kenya that day. Her plane was re-routed. A fellow math teacher’s son was in one of the towers and did not make it out. The daughter of a church member offered small comforts and prayer with first responders and volunteers in a church near the twin towers. Two years after 9-11, a man would be hired to teach in the room beside me who had skipped his meeting in the tower that morning. He is one of the people seen trying to outrun the cloud of smoke and debris. His family moved to Virginia because of that day.

Here I sit so far away and yet so connected. I remember.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks